A Special Town Meeting is being held on Monday, June 3, 2019 commencing at 7pm in the gym at the Westsford School. The meeting is in response to a petition calling for a Special Town Meeting with regard to the Outdoor Fire Safety Ordinance that was adopted by the Selectboard on March 14, 2019. The warning for the Special Town Meeting can be viewed here. The Fire Ordinance can be viewed here.
Members of the Westford Town Lands Steering Committee presented the Long-Term Management Plan for the Maple Shade Town Forest and the Misty Meadows Trails and Forest (land surrounding the school) at the March 28, 2019 Selectboard Meeting.
The Selectboard will be taking public comment on the Plan at their April 25, 2019 meeting. The Plan as presented can be viewed here.
The Town of Westford has a volunteer opportunity in the field of land use planning and community building – Planning Commissioner.
The main priorities of the Planning Commission are creating the Westford Town Plan and Westford Land Use & Development Regulations, developing and implementing the Town Center Master Plan, enhancing public infrastructure, services and amenities, ensuring local resiliency, understanding biological & ecological systems in order to preserve natural resources and working lands, and supporting affordable housing and economic development.
Benefits of serving the community:
- Enhance community and opportunity in Westford!
- Gain experience communicating with municipal officials, state officials and the public.
- Gain experience and knowledge of municipal government, enabling law and the latest planning techniques and tools.
- Enhance your knowledge and understanding of energy planning, natural resources planning, neighborhood design, town center revitalization, historic preservation, etc.
- Learn to create compelling community engagement content for various audiences.
- Learn how data, surveys and other information are used in different aspects of planning.
- Gain career experience working in a dynamic team of motivated individuals.
- Expand “soft skills” critical to advancement in today‘s job market.
Planning Commissioners receive an annual stipend and meet the 3rd Monday of the month with additional meetings, if necessary.
Please complete an Application for Appointment if interested in serving on the Commission and feel free to contact Melissa Manka, Planning Coordinator, with questions (878-4587 or email@example.com).
The Town of Westford currently accepts postmarks (USPS, UPS & FedEx) for tax payments. Given the electronic age we are in, the Town occasionally receives checks directly from financial institutions after a taxpayer initiates the payment. This type of payment may be known as Bill Pay.
These payments are mailed to the Town directly from the financial institution however the envelope does not bear a postmark. Effective July 1, 2015 the Town of Westford will acknowledge this type of payment based on the date the payment is received at the Town Office.
The Town highly recommends that if you remit payment using this method, you contact your financial institution to determine the appropriate lead time to ensure your tax payment is timely.