Treasurer: Greg Barrows
Bookkeeper: Mary Jane Featherstone
2022 Tax Rates
Town Financial Audits
To view professional audits of the Town of Westford’s financial records please click here.
Property Tax Schedule
Property tax bills are mailed a minimum of 30 days prior to the first installment due date. Annual taxes are divided into four equal payments and are due August 15, November 15, March 15 and May 15. Late payments are charged interest of 1% per month for the first 3 months and 1 1/2% per month thereafter. An 8% penalty is assessed on any taxes not paid by May 15. Postmarks (US,FedEX and UPS) are accepted as timely payments.
Incorrectly Written Property Tax Payments Policy
In order to provide guidance for processing timely but incorrectly written property tax payment checks, the following will become effective upon approval by the Selectboard.
- This policy applies only to tax payments received on or before the due date. The Town will make a good faith effort to contact the taxpayer and notify them of the defect.
- An incorrectly written property tax check is defined as the written amount does not agree with the numerical amount.
- Incorrectly written checks will be given a 5-day grace period (excluding weekends) to cure the defect in the payment.
- Corrected payments in the drop box by 8:30 AM on the 6th day (or next business day if the 6th day falls on a weekend or holiday) will also be considered as timely.
- Checks not received after the 5-day grace period will be subject to interest and penalties (except as noted above).
- The grace period does not extend to tax payments received after the due date.
- If the defect is not cured by the taxpayer after grace period has expired the town will process the check based on the written amount (per banking practices).
Approved by the Selectboard on March 31, 2022.
Timely Tax Payment Clarification – Important Policy Change
The Town of Westford currently accepts postmarks (USPS, UPS & FedEx) for tax payments. Given the electronic age we are in, the Town occasionally receives checks directly from financial institutions after a taxpayer initiates the payment. This type of payment may be known as Bill Pay.
These payments are mailed to the Town directly from the financial institution however the envelope does not bear a postmark. Effective July 1, 2015 the Town of Westford will acknowledge this type of payment based on the date the payment is received at the Town Office.
The Town highly recommends that if you remit payment using this method, you contact your financial institution to determine the appropriate lead time to ensure your tax payment is timely.
Make a Property Tax Payment
You will need to enter your Parcel ID (found in the upper left corner on your tax bill) and know the amount due when making your payment.
Please note: A convenience fee of $3.00 for transactions totaling up to $122.00, or 2.45% of the transaction exceeding $122.00, will apply.