The following uses are allowed and restricted under the Shared Use Agreement between the Town and School:
Note: Unless otherwise agreed with the Town, the School District shall have primary use of Recreational Field, excluding the public trails and agricultural/silvicultural lands, during and until the conclusion of any school sponsored activity or function on weekdays during the school year.
Applicability of School Laws & Policies – All laws applicable to the School District and all School District policies shall apply to the Misty Meadow Trails & Forest and Recreational Field when they are being used for School District activities and functions.
Tobacco Prohibition – Use of tobacco or tobacco substitutes is prohibited on the Westford School Forest (name pending) and Rope Field.
Alcohol & Drug Prohibition – The manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession, use or consumption of alcohol or any drugs is prohibited on the Misty Meadow Trails & Forest and Recreational Field. A Drug means any narcotic drug, hallucinogenic drug, amphetamine, barbiturate, marijuana or any other controlled substance as defined by state or federal statute or regulation.
Weapons & Firearm Prohibition – Weapons of any type are prohibited on the Misty Meadow Trails & Forest and Recreational Field. The use or possession of weapons of any type will not be tolerated.
The Town will comply with Vermont Statute 13 V.S.A. § 4004, prohibiting the possession of all dangerous or deadly weapons, replicas or facsimiles of any dangerous or deadly weapon at school or on school grounds. Due to the properties’ use by the school and proximity to the school, weapons are prohibited on the Misty Meadow Trails & Forest and Recreational Field, which are located on the east side of Brookside Road, (including but not limited to woodlands, athletic fields, recreational trails, parking lots, personal vehicles, school or town-sponsored events and leased facilities). This policy is in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.
A Weapon means any firearm, knife, fighting instrument or other weapon-like device, instrument, material or substance, whether animate or inanimate, which in the manner it is used or is intended to be used, is known to be capable of producing death or serious bodily injury. Examples of such weapons include knives, clubs, brass knuckles or nun chucks. Weapon also includes any reasonable facsimile, reproduction or replica of the above.
Firearm and destructive devices as defined in Section 921 of Title 18 of the United States Code and 13 V.S.A. §4016 means:
- any weapon whether loaded or unloaded which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive
- the frame or receiver of any weapon described above
- any firearm muffler or firearm silencer
- any explosive, incendiary or poison gas
- rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces
- missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one quarter ounce
- mine, or
- similar device
- any weapon which will, or which may be, readily converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter
- a weapon shall also include any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device, bomb or firearm
- any reasonable facsimile or reproduction of a firearm
This policy does not apply to a law enforcement officer while engaged in law enforcement duties or to weapons or facsimiles of weapons used in school functions or ceremonies as approved by the Board or the Superintendent. Additionally, the Superintendent upon notice to the School Board may specifically authorize the possession or use of a weapon for instructional, educational or other specific occasions and purposes.
Hunting/Trapping Prohibition – Hunting and trapping are prohibited on the Misty Meadow Trails & Forest and Recreational Field .
Motorized Vehicle Prohibition – Motorized vehicles are prohibited on the Misty Meadow Trails & Forest and Recreational Field .
Pet Prohibition – Pets are prohibited on the Recreational Field ONLY.